By Melissa Clark, Claims Manager. Cornerstone Staffing – Risk Management
- Never, ever leave your pet in the car.
- Make sure your pet has unlimited access to fresh water.
- Make sure your pet has access to shade when outside.
- Take walks during the cooler hours of the day.
- When walking, try to stay off of hot surfaces, such as asphalt, because it can burn your pet’s paws.
- If you think it’s hot outside, it’s even hotter for your pet. Make sure your pet has a means of cooling off.
- Keep your pet free of external parasites (fleas, ticks) and heartworms. Consult your veterinarian about the best product for your pet.
- Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats (talk to your veterinarian first to see if it’s appropriate for your pet), and apply sunscreen to your dog’s skin if she or he has a thin coat.